Thursday, January 8, 2015

Charlie Hebdo; A Tragedy

Yesterday people I do not know who worked for a magazine I never read died for drawing cartoons mocking a religious figure. Three heavily armed men stormed the publication offices in France and committed the ultimate sin. Killing people for expressing their right to free speech.
I had a busy day yesterday. It was my lovely wife's birthday. We went out, saw the final Hobbit movie, did a little shopping and I made her a dinner of steak, asparagus and sweet potatoes. I also made a home made cake that, while fine, the frosting did not turn out like I wanted. Luckily Betty Crocker saved me there.
So, there I was in this sea of festivities and this happens.
Why?
Are terrorists so stupid that they don't realize that more people will be drawn to the publication that mocked them in the first place? I asked ten people if they had ever heard of the magazine or any of the cartoonists that were murdered. They said no. Give them a day and they will all know. This is a high profile news story because it has insane people murdering people who disagree with them.
In a perfect world these murderers would be caught and prosecuted to the full measure of the law.
In a perfect world.
Makes me wish I lived in such a place, but I know I don't.
People were murdered for drawing funny cartoons and having an opinion.
This has to stop.
Think about how much worse it could get if this isn't dealt with in a swift manner?
If you don't believe that you are a simpleton and a fool.
I considered putting a cartoon up here, but it felt like a hollow gesture at this point.
One last thing; you did notice I only used the word 'murder' here, right? I'm tired of people using the word killed when it involves two people. You can be killed in an auto accident. You can be killed by a Grizzly Bear. You can be killed by slipping and falling in the tub. When some asshole points a gun at another human being for an incredibly stupid reason and pulls the trigger...that's murder plain and simple.
My heart goes out to the friends and families of those murdered yesterday. All I can do is offer my condolences and pray for justice for those taken from us by narrow minded, murderous assholes.
That's it.
I'm done.    

UPDATE: The murderers have been killed by France. It doesn't bring back a single person. What a waste.

No comments: