Monday, June 1, 2015

Comics I Bought 6/1/2015

So, with Motor City Comic Con two weeks past I was able to get into the comic store again. It boggled my mind how many friggin comic books DC and Marvel had out. So many titles it made my head swim a bit. True to my word I have ignored Convergence all together, but I did dip my toe into Secret Wars. You'll see below



SWORDS OF SORROW #1
Writer Gail Simone
Artist Sergio Davila

A huge crossover of nothing but female characters from various forms of literature? This sounds amazing. Jana of the Jungle, Dejah Thoris, Vampirella, Red Sonja, Jane Greystoke all in a single series. What can I say? The art is great. The storyline that is really just the set up for the rest of the series works well and keeps things moving. I had no idea Kato was a woman now. When did that happen? Anyway, while I probably won't chase down all the miniseries that accompany this book, I will stick with the core book. This is a really novel idea and I can't wait to see how it plays out.
I wanted to add a comment on the cover; it seems there are like thirty variant covers. That's fine, but I got this one. While Vampirella and Dejah Thoris are passable at best, but Red Sonja looks so good! The expression on her face, the detail of the artwork. This is the best Red Sonja I have seen in a very long time. My favorite cover in a while.   



GODZILLA RULERS OF THE EARTH #24
Writer Chris Frank
Artist Matt Frank

One more double sized issue after this one and then it is over. A little over two years I haven't missed an issue and now it is over. The alien race trying to waste the Earth and all of our Kaiju has made a grievous error by releasing Gigan. Add the monsters that can duplicate Godzilla's powers and a hint at King Ghidorah and we know that the final issue is going to be the best of the series. I'm still sad it's over, but ti was a great run.




SHIELD 5
Writer Mark Waid
Artist Mike Choi



SHIELD #6
Writer Mark Waid
Artist Paul Renaud

After touching base with Dr. Strange last issue, Phil Coulson is confronted with a man who can shoot magic bullets. He is able to take out the likes of Damian Hellstrom, his sister Satana and pretty much any magic wielder on the planet. Scarlet Witch comes along fro the ride and they discover that there is a bigger plan and it's got Dormammu's name written all over it.
While I am always glad to see Man-Thing in any comic I felt that the first issue had passable art, bt it just didn't look good to me. The second issue had better art and idea of a curse that would turn humans into The Mindless Ones was genius. I laughed when it appears that the smarter you are the sooner you turn into one of the unthinking beasts. This was a good two parter, but I miss the funny one pager that had been running in the back of the comic since it started. They should definitely bring that back.




WHERE MONSTERS DWELL #1
Writer Garth Ennis
Artist Russ Braun

Having been a huge Phantom Eagle fan I was a little sad that they depict him here as some sort of low life. It comes across more as a sleazy Indiana Jones meets The Land That Time Forgot than anything else. It is a limited series and I am a big dinosaur fan, but I don't know if I'm going to finish this mini series. Not a good first foray into Battleworld.




PLANET HULK #1

Writer Sam Humphries
Artist Marc Laming

This is the book I have been waiting for. Since Rick Remender ruined Captain America for me years ago, it was nice to see Steve Rogers back in tip top fighting form. Having Devil Dinosaur as his sidekick made it even better. So, Doctor Doom runs the place and Dr. Strange is his second in command? That seems, I don't know...stupid? I know that Doom loves being in charge, but it seems cliche in this case.
Steve Rogers is sent from the gladiator pits to Greenland where all the Hulks live to save his partner, Bucky. Okay, so there was a World War 2 here on Battleworld? Is this the same Steve Rogers I know from decades of comic books? See, I really need someone to give me some answers pretty damned quick here.
Also, this book was 4.99??? Five bucks and it has a two page spread that is just big green letters giving us the title of the comic book again. You guys are making enough green off of this little Secret Wars endeavor and you gotta hack us for an additional buck. Bad form. I'm still going to buy it...for a while.

So, there you have it. Some winners, some losers and me wondering if my precious Marvel Comics will ever be the same. See ya next time kids!
  

No comments: