Monday, November 10, 2014

Keep Trying It Just Don't Matter







Next year Marvel and DC are both doing huge inter dimensional storylines that they say will affect their titles forever.
Or, a least until the next huge inter dimensional crossover event.
I have one thing to say.
You say that it negates all previous things that went before. DC did it with DC 52 and most of it sucked. Marvel has Marvel NOW! And, surprise, with very few exceptions, it sucked as well. And I am a card carrying Marvel Zombie.
Here's the thing; It can't be negated. Your new, fancy storylines have not affected my comic collection one whit. Those characters you say are no longer around. Yeah, I still have those comic books and having read them are lodged in my memory.
Happened for me so, it's still real.
Get it.
The thing that surprises me the most is that I read comics for decades before Crisis On Infinite Earths happened.
Same goes for Secret Wars.
I did think it funny that Marvel's huge event changed nothing more than the introduction of Venom...sort of. Plus, we all know that was a comic designed to do nothing but sell toys.
So, for decades, writers were talented enough to take what was given to them and crafted well done, exciting stories month after month. They didn't need to invent a new dimension to explain when something went...well, weird.
If they wanted to do that Marvel had What If? and DC had Elseworlds. Because sometimes it's fun to mess with the natural order of what has gone before.
Now all the big two do is huge event after huge event.
I know I used to read The Avengers. Now, with the seventy-five monthly Avengers books out there I don't read one of them since Avengers A.I. got cancelled.
From the big two I read the following on a monthly basis;
MARVEL
The Amazing X-Men

yeah, that's it. And remember I am a huge Captain America fan. There is nothing for me there. One comic and that's it. I read Nightcrawler for a minute, but it got stale and they cancelled Superior Foes of Spider Man. I am considering The Spider-Verse, but will probably pass. Secret Wars looks interesing, but only because I saw Doctor Zero in the artwork.

DC
Justice League Dark
Sensation Comics
Trinity of Sin

Always a huge fan of J.M.DeMatteis I love what he has done with Justice League Dark by primarily ignoring the whole DC 52 thing. And Sensation Comics proves that you can do one and done stories and it sells comics. I did pick up the first issue of Arkham Manor and like how that went. Trinity of Sin has The Question, my favorite.

I buy more independent comics than mainstream.

Godzilla, Rulers of the Earth
Justice Inc.
Little Nemo In Slumberland
John Carter Warlord of Mars

Personally, I have a better time reading back issues back when writers knew how to write and things were awesome.

Convergence will not be for me, but Secret Wars might.

I'm really hoping for a Doctor Zero action figure.

No comments: