Thursday, February 7, 2019

COMIC OF THE WEEK! 2/6/2019

I tried doing the column thing. I really did, but some weeks I buy a lot of comic books and with my other writing this gets put on the back burner and then becomes old news pretty damned quick. I decided to pick a book that I liked that week and write about it instead.
Sounds pretty good, right? I mean it's better than nothing, right? Yeah, that's what I thought as well. So, here we go...



THE GIRL IN THE BAY #1
Writer:
J.M. DeMatteis
Artist:
Corin Howell
Editor:
Karen Berger
Cover Artist:
Corin Howell

If I had to choose a single person who affects the way that I view life in all aspects I would have to put J.M. DeMatteis as the top spot. I grew up in comic books, reading them voraciously. J.M. DeMatteis was always there for me. Whether it was Captain America or Spider-Man, Justice League, Dr. Fate or, my single favorite comic book Moonshadow. Things you read as a youngster tend to stick better for the long run. 
Now, with the new Berger Books imprint from we get a four issue series from that great mind and the trip has already gotten weird. Weird in a good way, but still, weird.
Here's the promotional blurb;
"In 1969, seventeen-year-old Kathy Sartori was brutally attacked, her body hurled into Brooklyn's Sheepshead Bay. Miraculously, she survives and fights her way back to the surface, only to discover that fifty years have passed and an eerie doppelganger has lived out an entire life in her place. Kathy soon confronts not just this strange double, but the madman who ''murdered'' her five decades earlier. Will he, and the dark entity that lives inside him, hold the key to Kathy's missing years? Or will Kathy become a ghost of herself, forced to live out what remains of her life on the edge of the world that she desperately wants to be a part of?"
Now, I was sad when I saw we were only getting four issues, but the story is so good I am curious to see how this can wrap up in such a short period of time. I was also wondering why the book was pre-bagged by the comic book store when I bought it. 
Was it nudity? That's usually the reason my comic book store does that.
Nope, just some seriously violent murder that is well executed by artist Corin Howell who I have never seen work by before. Howell's artwork blends perfectly with the story that DeMatteis is telling us. I like that we get no more information than the main character. It makes us curious to see how it will all play out in the end.
The Girl In The Bay #1 is a perfect kick off to what appears to be a horror story wrapped in a mystery that will go much deeper than what we are given at the start. If you are looking for something truly different and unique I do recommend picking up this book.

No comments: