Wednesday, February 15, 2017

MY LOVE AFFAIR WITH COMIC BOOKS Chapter 4

So, yeah we have been going to the comic shop every week. It is nice to not spend a ton of money at the store. But, if you don;t do the reviews right away they pile up and you still end up with a ton of books. So, these are going to be rapid punch, lightning round reviews this time. Another ton of great books. I have also decided that Superman might be worth a grab, but I'm going to go with trades for that one.
Ready, let's get this started with a bite.

  

HOOKJAW #2

The shark has the crew cornered and while some are trying to kill the beast, others believe she deserves to die. That's right folks!  We find out that the beast is a woman and she is pissed right off. They also manage to make fun of the original book that Hookjaw was in at the same time. Old schoolers know all this stuff, but it's all new and fantastic to me.


JONESY #10

Jonesy discovers you can fight city hall if you believe in something enough and she doesn't even need to use her love powers. It also makes her realize that she can't hide forever. She is going home to face the music next issue. I can never say enough good things about this book. If you love comic books you should get this book.


SLAM! #2

Roller Derby girls. Enough said. That and it actually breaks down the sport and shows how it's done while giving us an interesting back story into the lives of the girls. I can remember the first time this was a sport and I'm glad it's back. I do miss the curved track, however.


KONG OF SKULL ISLAND #8

The first six books were a set up of where our titular beast actually came from. After that we are getting acquainted with the island he will call home and we get to see him as a little Kong. Very cute and the artwork is amazing. The movie comes out this week and I can't wait.


INVADER ZIM #17

My children introduced me tom ZIM in cartoon form. I thought it was insane and funny. When they came up with the comic book I was worried they wouldn't be able to capture the same insanity. I was wrong. This time around Zim and Dib try to tell the best story to win their freedom from an alien race. Except there's more to it than that and it ends with a face planter. An actual face planter. Buy it and see.


Throw some high level Street Magic into a Harlem that is still staggering from Tombstone's attack and you have an issue that doesn't slow down for an instant. Just when you think it can't get any crazier...it does!


UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #17

Sure are a lot of issue 17s rolling through this column, aren't there? Anyway, I have loved this character from the first time I saw her and she kicked Dr. Doom's butt. Now she has a new costume a new benefactor that might prove to be too good to be true. I laughed more at this issue than any of them recently. They were smart, cool funny. This is laugh out loud and take a minute funny.



THE AVENGERS 3.1

A blast from the past after the founding members leave the roster to Captain America and his odd group of heroes. I wish this wasn't a limited series. They could go for a while with this premise.


U.S.AVENGERS #3

The new team and their final battle against The Gold Skull! Yeah, if he were brighter this might be a fight, but he isn't and the team shows that they candle anything even if their Hulk can't Hulk for the moment. And I get another helping of Squirrel Girl at the same time so...win-win.


MONSTERS UNLEASHED #3

These are good old giant monster slugfests and just when the heroes thought they were in trouble, classic monsters from the yesteryear of Marvel come to save the day! This is an interesting book. I'm curious to see if it will hold until the end and if it will make me want to buy the announced monthly series. We shall see!



PATSY WALKER A.K.A. HELLCAT! #15

The fight with Black Cat is over and it's time to blow off some steam. Unfortunately, Patsy is feeling under the weather and every time she sneezes she warps reality. Makes for some weird goings on and still maintains to be a fun filled book.


FLASH #16

The Flash figures out The Rogues plan and manage to get the drop on them, but Captain Cold has a new gun up his sleeve that may spell the end for The Flash! It's a great hero comic and feels like the books I read when I was a kid. I thought this was a Kevin Nowlan variant cover. I was wrong. I bought it any way. I thought it was pretty cool.


HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #14

Now that the green and yellow teams are working together it is up to Hal and Kyle to find hope. IN this case that would be a blue lantern and he happens to be on a molten lava planet full of monsters. No sweat, right? Right? Comics like this make me smile



SCOOBY APOCALYPSE #10

The entire issue was me asking myself if I had missed an issue. Did I? I looked and saw that I did not, but what the hell was going on. I kept asking that with every page. It got to the point where something happened and I was ready to quit the book. Then it got better. God Bless you J.M. DeMatteis. Also, screw you for making me worry like that.



BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY #5,6,7

I had stopped buying the book. The beautiful and crazy intelligent Martha Waltz talked me back in. I'm so glad she did. The gang story wraps up and we discover the identity of Huntress' mother. And we get a new Oracle and there is some bizarre house hunting as well. They make a great team and I'm glad I'm back to this book. It's the only one I buy in the Bat Family.


DEADMAN:DARK MANSION OF FORBIDDEN LOVE #3

The story comes to an end. The villain is revealed and the connection with the haunting keeping Deadman in the house will blow your mind. Deadman is always a favorite of mine and this beautiful three issue story was a real treat in the land of super heroes. Beautiful artwork and a great tale to accompany it. A wonderful addition to my collection.


JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA #1

Let's run down the new team shall we? Batman, Black Canary, Killer Frost, Vixen, The Ray, The other Atom and the original Lobo. Batman wants a team that is not legendary, but able to handle the threats he knows that they can. It's a team of misfits that when they come together will be a formidable force. I love rag tag teams and this issue is a smooth introduction to them all. I hope it sticks around for a while. There is so much potential.


WONDER WOMAN #16

The YEar One Story is done in the even numbered issues of Wonder Woman. Now we get the orgins of Godwatch and who they are and why the interest in Wonder Woman? I kind of like being able to finally start getting a bi weekly Wonder Woman fix and this issue starts right off with early adventures of our favorite Amazonian and the people that want to find out what she is.


CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE #5

This gives me Vertigo flashbacks with every issue. They embrace the sensibilities of Vertigo with a new, weird bent that makes it its own. I still really have no idea what the Hell is going on here, but I am enjoying the ride. 


AQUAMAN #17

I did not get this cover, but I couldn't find the cool fight scene cover on the internet and I am lazy. He looks like Nicholas Cage in this picture, doesn't he. Aquaman is squaring off against a madman named Warhead and he wants Aquaman dead and we have no idea why. In do like that Aquaman's secret service detail have given him the code name 'fish stick'. Made me laugh.

GREEN ARROW #17

And we finish off with our last issue with a 17 on it and Green Arrow shows us how to make a bow and go after Malcolm Merlyn and kill him for killing his police buddy. Except, there are secrets that even Green Arrow doesn't know and this one will stop him from getting what he truly wants; Merlyn's head on a platter. Another great comic that embraces what comic book in the super hero genre have always been. Solid storytelling through a magnificent fusion of words and pictures.

Okay, sheesh that is a lot of books, but I got through them all for you so you can see if anything here sounds like something  you might be interested in. Even if you aren't a single issue kind of person a lot of these have enough issues for trades. Most of the ones with 17 on the cover have a couple of trades out already. If you can't commit financially, that is always a thing. Check out your local library. The one in downtown Kalamazoo has a ton of comics on hand so, I'm sure yours does too. I'll try to be here next week so the column's aren't this long again.
Thanks for reading!

No comments: