Friday, July 18, 2014

Another Captain America Rant

This Captain America is better than what Marvel has planned.




There are those of us that are what I like to call, long term fans. We read comic books before there were comic book stores. We went to the local grocer and went through the spinner rack anytime we had more than a quarter to spend. I was lucky in that both of my parents are big readers so they figured reading anything is a good thing.
There are comic book characters I have more affinity for than others. The Fantastic Four, The Avengers, Spider Man and especially, Captain America. OF all of them, he is my favorite. A man who wanted nothing more than to be a good soldier and fight against the bullies of the world. And Captain America, while being a symbol is Steve Rogers. It is the mindset of that single individual that makes Captain America the symbol that he is. People argue that the suit is the symbol regardless of who wears it and, while that is true, if it hadn’t been for Steve Rogers, there would be no symbol.
Last time I wrote that writer Rick Remender should be removed from the current incarnation of Captain America comics. In my opinion, he has ruined the entire character of Captain America in a very short period of time. He has removed the super soldier formula that makes Captain America the hero that he is. Steve Rogers has been reduced to a very old man.
This has been done before. Cap has been depowered. Cap has become disillusioned with America. Cap gets murdered. All been done before and then they replace him with someone else. John Walker, Bucky Barnes, The Falcon.
Waitaminit!
Did you say, The Falcon.
Yes, apparently there will be a new comic, also by Remender, where The Falcon takes up the mantle of Captain America and old man Steve Rogers helps him on his adventures.
This is, without a doubt, the worst idea for Captain America I have ever had. The Falcon is a hero in his own right. I have always been a fan of Sam Wilson, unless Remender is writing him. Then it’s just wrong. Sam getting drunk and getting his freak on with Jet Black. Yeah, not my Falcon.
Why would he agree to do this? I know he would do it if Steve asked, but it just seems wrong. Apparently, there will be a new book for this so Marvel can slap another oversized #1 on the cover of a book.
Luckily,  IDW still makes Godzilla comics. Fortunately, DC has the incredible J.M. DeMatteis continues to thrill me with Justice League Dark and, in the land of Marvel, there are things like Amazing X-Men, Spider-Man 2099 and a few others that I still read. Once a Marvel Zombie always a Marvel Zombie.
Still, it saddens me when I go to the comic shop and there isn’t an Avengers comic or a Captain America comic in my things I grab for the week. See, I’m old fashioned and don’t do pull lists. I like thumbing through the comics and grabbing what I see that catches my eye.

Keeps me young. Like Steve Rogers before Rick Remender fucked it all up.

On a side note, I mentioned writing this article and my wife exploded. She was furious about the whole thing. To be fair they did turn Thor into a woman the day before and she hated that. I thought it was sweet that she had the same opinion about Captain America as I did.
I knew marrying her was going to be awesome!

No comments: