Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A PERSON OF COLOR

http://media.comicbook.com/2015/10/power-man-and-iron-fist-154051.jpg


I am not fond of this recent attitude in comic books where the comic isn't legitimate unless the person writing/drawing it are the same color. What about Superman? I'm pretty sure the people putting out that comic aren't from Krypton. What are they hacks?
No, they are fiction writers.
Being able to string together words in a fashion that other people enjoy are the only prerequisite.
Not your gender.
Not your color
And as for race, there is one race.
The human race.
And I'm also not fond of the terms 'black' and 'white' for skin color.
If I saw someone with actual black or white skin it would probably terrify me.
I prefer to think of myself as a lovely shade of apricot.
And, being a lovely shade of apricot, I would like to think I'm not limited to only reading comics with other apricot colored people inhabiting the page.
That would be pretty dull.
So, when they announced that Power Man and Iron Fist were coming back I was ecstatic. Not because one of them was apricot. Not because one of them were brown. Not because the writer and artist team are also brown.
It was because it was Power Man and Iron Fist. Two of my favorite characters.
Remember, it's all about story.
I could give a damn what color you are.

No comments: