Saturday, September 25, 2010

The 14th Dalai Lama: A Manga Biography

I don't read a lot of manga. I'm old school, Marvel and DC with a spattering of independents through the years, But manga? No, not a lot of that.
Recently I was at the local library looking through the graphic novels and whatnot and I came across this thing called A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. The book is freaking huge! I looked at it for weeks everytime I went to the library. Finally I checked it out.
I never should have waited. This was a wonderful book.
Because of that I decided to read The 14th Dalai Lama: A Manga Biography. The author, Tetsu Saiwai's style reminded me a little of Tatsumi's so I had that going for me. But, more importantly, is how informative this little volume is. It begins with the passing of the 13 Dalai Lama and the discovery of the 14th at the age of two. we see him butting heads with China and it brings the tale of this remarkable human being to the forefront of the brain. It's not just that smiling guy who shows up on the news from time to time. This is a rich history of a truly historical figure.
This should be required reading for any modern history course in the world.
A truly fine book on a wonderful individual.

  

No comments: